WASTE ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT REGULATIONS 2006 (THE WEEE REGULATIONS)
Lyons Jewellers is a distributor of business to consumer (B2C) electrical and electronic equipment (EEE). As a responsible company, Lyons is committed to providing high quality products and services to our customers and reducing our environmental impact by recycling our products in an environmentally sound manner when they become waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE).
Lyons will provide the following Free of Charge services to our customers:
- Provide ‘take back’ on a like for like basis across our product range from the 1st of July 2007.
- The ‘take back’ service is available free of charge when you purchase a replacement product from Lyons.
- This service is available at all of our retail outlets and also on our internet sales products.
- Lyons will provide the above service free of charge for any like for like product irrespective of the manufacturer of the product when the customer is purchasing a replacement product from Lyons.
Lyons Customer Information Sheet
From the 1st July 2007 the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Regulations 2006 (the WEEE Regulations) came into effect in the UK. The aim of the regulations is to reduce the amount of WEEE going to landfill for disposal. This will be achieved by promoting the separate collection of WEEE and its re-use, recycling, recovery and environmentally sound disposal. This approach saves energy, resources and avoids hazardous materials from going to landfill.
Any product that requires electricity or batteries to enable it to perform its primary function would be classed as electrical or electronic equipment (EEE); everyday examples would be a watch or an alarm clock.
Products which are classed as EEE and are covered by the regulations must display a crossed out wheeled bin symbol on the product; or if this is not possible the symbol must be displayed on the packaging, the instruction leaflet and the warranty. Products displaying a black bar beneath the wheeled bin denote EEE placed upon the market after the 13th August 2005; products without the black bar are placed on the market prior to the 13th August 2005.
This symbol allows you to identify WEEE products and dispose of them separately from other household waste when it reaches the end of its useful life.
From the 1st July 2007 Lyons Jewellers will provide a Free of Charge ‘take back’ service to our customers for your old WEEE products on a like for like basis when you purchase a new item of EEE from Lyons. This offer applies to new EEE that is purchased directly from our retail outlets and also on our internet sales products. The WEEE product will then be collected, re-used, recycled or recovered in an environmentally sound manner.
For further information regarding the WEEE Regulations please visit:
- The Waste Electrical And Electronic Equipment Directive
- Scottish Environment Protection Agency
- Enviroment and Heritage Service
- Department for Business, Enterprise and Regulatory Reform
- Environment Agency
Lyons Jewellers working with WE3 Compliance and Metal & Waste Recycling